What do I do if I tested positive for COVID-19?
If you test positive for Coronavirus you will need to quarantine for 14 days and decrease direct contact with friends or family. You may experience some flu-like symptoms; fever, new and persistent cough and shortness of breath. Other symptoms may include but are not limited to headaches, loss of taste and loss of smell. Symptoms of Coronavirus manifest differently in each host. If you have trouble breathing, you must visit the ER immediately.
Your healthcare provider will work with you to determine how best to care for you based on your test result(s) along with your medical history, and your symptoms.
What are the symptoms associated with covid-19?
This list does not include all possible symptoms.
CDC will continue to update this list as we learn more about COVID-19.
How Can I protect myself and others ?
Wear a mask over your nose and mouth
Stay 6 feet away from others
Inside your home:
- If possible, maintain 6 feet between the person who is sick and other household members.
Outside your home:
Put 6 feet of distance between yourself and people who don’t live in your household.
- Remember that some people without symptoms may be able to spread virus.
- Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people
- Keeping distance from others is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
Being in crowds like in restaurants, bars, fitness centers, or movie theaters put you at higher risk for COVID-19.
Avoid poorly ventilated spaces
Avoid indoor spaces that do not offer fresh air from the outdoors as much as possible. If indoors, bring in fresh air by opening windows and doors, if possible.
Hands should be washed
Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, especially after being in a public area or gusting your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
Washing is Extremely Important:
Cover your Mouth while Coughing and sneezing
- Always use a tissue to cover your mouth and nosewhen coughing or sneezing, or use the inside of your elbow instead of spitting.
- Dispose of used tissuesin the garbage.
- Wash your handsfor at least 20 seconds with soap and water right away. If soap and water aren’t available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol to clean your hands.
Sterilize and Clean
- Daily, clean and sterilize frequently touched surfaces. Tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks all fall under this category.
- Clean surfaces that are unclean.
- Clean with detergent or soap and water before disinfecting with a home disinfectant.
- Follow the manufacturer’s indicated guidelines for using goods from the EPA’s List N: Disinfectants for Coronavirus (COVID-19) external icon.
Monitor Your Health Daily
- Be alert for symptoms. Watch for fever, cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19.
- Especially important if you are running essential errands, going into the office or workplace, and in settings where it may be difficult to keep a physical distance of 6 feet.
- Take your temperature if symptoms develop.
- Don’t take your temperature within 30 minutes of exercising or after taking medications that could lower your temperature, like acetaminophen.